Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kind of Blue

I've had an idea for a project for quite a long time. Simply to make some pictures inspired by Miles Davis titles.
This is the first attempt to make it real. Kind of Blue was where Miles started. Ok, that's a lie. But it's almost true :-) It was MY first Miles album.














The photo is a lie to. This is not the scene as I saw it while driving threw the landscape.  The original file was a disapontment, looking dull and flat. While playing with it, looking for a solution to make the light in the end of the tunnel shine, I came up with this.

And suddenly I was humming to the melody All Blues from Kind of Blue. I said to myself:
That's it, the first picture of this series.
But I'm not 100% sure. It's not my usual style to render a picture this heavily. Have I taken it over the top?

---------------------
EDIT: After Godfreys comment below, I decided to make a slightly different rendering. Tuned down the magenta a squash (or whatever the word is), and lightened and sharpened the foreground a tad (my spell checker suggests toad, instead of tad. That, I know is a bad idea :-) )

3 comments:

  1. it's not a bad shot, Tim, but on my screen its very contrasty and has a magenta overtone. There's little tonal/color separation in the lower left. While the blue theme is not oppressive, the rest of the rendering has to work too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Godfrey. Very nice to see you here.

    The magenta and contrast is on purpose.

    I see what you mean about the lower left. I tried a few tricks to make it shine. But I gave up. Wonder if I missed focus a tiny bit.

    I think I'll have another go. Thanks for challenging me :-)

    ReplyDelete